Canada has a slew of musical talent that is growing exponentially. The last few years have seen a rise in prominent Canadian artists across various genres. Airwaves have been taken over and attention has been demanded by many of them. Now, a few of the great white north’s best have new (and rumoured) albums on the horizon. Here are five to keep on your radar.
1. Broken Social Scene-Hug of Thunder: This super group have been indie darlings since the early 2000’s, and are now returning with their first album in seven years. After debuting a new single earlier this month, fans of this massive band are sure to be awaiting an evolution in sound that is so many years in the making. July 7th is the date to remember.
2. Rural Alberta Advantage-TBA: Taking over as fan-favourites for unique vocal delivery and virtuosic drumming, this three-piece has been teasing their return since 2016. “Beacon Hill” is the latest track the band has dropped in 2017, but no explicit and official details have been revealed about a new LP. Just a bit of media buzz and anticipation to keep the public eagerly awaiting.
3. Metric-TBA: Lead singer Emily Haines has teased at the new sounds of the album, but no release date or name has been mentioned as of yet. However, expect gargantuan changes, including a 60-piece orchestra.
4. Wolf Parade-TBA: Hailing from Montreal, this band hasn’t released a full length album in over six years. Luckily, fans got a tease at a return last year with the release of “EP 4.”
Hopefully this material can bide the time until the grand reveal of their larger-scale return.
5. Arcade Fire-TBA: Canadian icons and Grammy-winning underdogs Arcade Fire haven’t released a full length project since “Reflektor” in 2013. Fortunately, their latest single “I Give you Power” featuring the wonderful Mavis Staples serves as a preview for fans to be optimistic about. This release will surely be one of the biggest of the year.
By: John Pattee